1) Quinoa is a seed which is high in amino acids (protein) and essential fats. It also contains healthy low GI carbohydrates which help to satisfy hunger and provide a source of energy.
2) It is a great alternative to wheat, while although it’s not a grain, it can be used in place of a grain. For example, you can replace rice with quinoa and gain more protein in your meal than you would with rice alone.
3) Since quinoa is not a grain, it provides a gluten free option. For example, you can make porridge or cookies from quinoa flakes. Quinoa seeds are used where you would normally cook rice or couscous. It is a very versatile food.
4) Quinoa can be considered a superfood as it contains vitamins, minerals, calcium, iron, vitamin B2, lysine, magnesium, manganese & fibre.
5) Quinoa is high in phytonutrients, which provide an anti-inflammatory action. The nutty flavour makes it suitable in stir fries, soups & patties.
Try some today. Use a rice cooker and cook for a few minutes longer than you would rice. One cup of quinoa to 2 cups of water provides the right balance for cooking.
Check my recipe section soon for several quinoa recipes and give them a go!