Migraine headaches can be debilitating. Follow these 7 steps to help prevent future attacks and reduce the pain when you have a migraine.
7 Preventive Tips for Migraine Attacks
- Avoid processed foods containing nitrates – these are found in cured & processed meats, canned vegetables, packaged seafood, hotdogs, etc.
- Reduce or avoid common food triggers – gluten or yeast products, dark chocolate, kale, onions, honey, processed sugar, aged cheeses, red wine, MSG, pickled or cured fish.
- Develop a strong gut microflora – eat fermented foods regularly (yogurt, sauerkraut, kim chee), or take a high quality probiotic to boost your immunity.
- Get 7-8 hours of quality sleep each night.
- Use relaxation techniques to reduce pain – meditation, yoga, deep breathing, visualisations.
- Turn down the blue light – many digital devices and LED light sources emit mostly blue light. Migraine sufferers can be photosensitive to this light.
- Use essential oils to soothe tension – effective oils include peppermint, lavender, eucalyptus, frankincense & rosemary. Apply in small drops to your temples or neck to reduce tension.