… Start by looking after your “telomeres”. These are the tiny end units of our DNA strands, which prevent the DNA from unraveling. (… Think of a shoelace which has it’s ends bound tightly.) As our cells replicate our telomeres shorten. Longer telomeres lead to longevity. So how do we lengthen them?
Lengthen your telomeres, live longer & healthier with a few simple lifestyle adjustments:
- Improve your quality of sleep each night.
- Reduce stress with regular meditation and relaxation.
- Exercise regularly and include HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) one to two times a week.
- Eat the right fats. Include a small amount of good fats at each meal and snack, eg. nuts, seeds, avocado, olive oil, coconut oil, olives, deep-sea fish, fish oils.
- Keep vitamin D levels adequate. Include deep-sea fish, eggs, mushrooms (grown in sunlight). Expose skin daily to sunlight to boost your own production of Vitamin D. In Summer you’ll need less time in the sun because of the higher UV Index. This varies a little depending on location and season of the year.
- Reduce levels of inflammation by avoiding or greatly reducing refined processed carbohydrates, deep-fried foods, alcohol, caffeine, added sugars including artificial sweeteners. Choose green leafy vegetables, quality protein, nuts, seeds, legumes, fruit & vegetables, free-range eggs, herbs.
- Reduce risk factors – quit smoking & recreational drugs, reduce alcohol intake, include daily movement and exercise. … Does any of this sound familiar?