Over the festive season, many people routinely put on from 2-4 kilos of body weight. This year, make a difference to your Xmas celebrations
7 top tips for preventing weight gain:
- Fill up on raw or fresh produce when you begin eating. Focus on low GI fresh vegetables to start the meal. Select from a large fresh salad or cut up some vegetable pieces for snacking with a tasty dip, eg homous. These are lower calorie choices which can fill you, so you’re less likely to overeat.
- Serve your own portions. Other people tend to overfill the plate when serving up for someone else. Use a smaller plate, so that it appears well laden.
- Avoid bread & chips and other mindless sources of calories. Aim for the vegetables and salad first, then select some quality protein to accompany the vegetables. Turkey or baked fish or even roast beef, are good choices.
- Stay away from where the food is being served and also distance yourself from the bar. The further away you are, the less likely to keep nibbling or sipping on endlessly all day.
- Start with a large glass of water before the meal. Along with the salad or raw vegetables, these 2 things can easily help reduce overall calories consumed at the meal.
- Keep a mental note of how much you’re drinking. Every shot of alcohol or glass of wine or beer, comes with about 100-150 cals. After each drink enjoy a water chaser to help rehydrate and sip your drinks slowly.
- Nourish yourself socially; spend the day with positive people if possible. Christmas time can be a very emotional time for many, having lost loved ones during the year. The tendency can be to “drown your sorrows”, so be aware and plan to cheer someone up or reach out & let others know that you need some good company!
Merry Christmas to all!